UpwardAction Salutes Compton, CA Mayor Aja Brown
In 2013, Aja Brown made history by being the youngest mayor ever elected in Compton, CA. Keep reading for 10 facts about this political trailblazer and African American leader.
10 Facts About Compton CA’s Mayor, Aja Brown
1. Mayor Aja Brown was born on April 17, 1982.
2. In June 2013, Mayor Brown became the youngest ever elected mayor of Compton, CA at age 31.
3. She and her twin brother were raised by their single mother in Altadena, California.
4. Mayor Brown is married to Van Brown, a Petrochemical Safety Manager.
5. She and her husband serve as youth directors at Faith Inspirational MBC, located in Compton, CA.
6. Mayor Aja Brown won the election by a landslide, defeating both incumbent mayor Eric J. Perrodin and former mayor Omar Bradley.
7. She graduated from the University of Southern California with a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Policy, Urban Planning and Development and earned a Master’s Degree in Urban Planning with a concentration in Economic Development.
8. Mayor Brown founded the City’s “Clean Compton Brownfield Program” – a $1.3 million project that garnered the support of the Environmental Protection Agency, which resulted in the identification of all brownfield sites within the City of Compton and the excavation of three 10,000 Gallon Underground Tanks at an abandoned gas station in Compton.
9. In 2011, she co-founded Compton-based Urban Vision Community Development Corporation (CDC), a non-profit organization dedicated to community economic development and youth development in the City of Compton.
10. Mayor Brown has outlined an ambitious agenda to transform the poverty-stricken Compton of 97,000 people through fiscal reform, construction projects, jobs, better diet and civic promotion.
We salute Mayor Aja Brown and wish her and the Compton, CA all the best.