UpwardAction Salutes Aliko Dangote
Aliko Dangote is a Nigerian business mogul with an estimated net worth of $20.8 billion (as of November 2013). Keep reading for 7 facts about this brilliant and inspirational billionaire.
7 Facts About Aliko Dangote
1. Mr. Aliko Dangote was born on April 10, 1957 in Kano Nigeria into a wealthy Nigerian family.
2. He is ranked by Forbes Magazine as the 43rd richest person in the world and the richest man in Africa.
3. Mr. Dangote established the Dangote Group in 1977 as a small trading firm with a 500 NSN (currency) loan from his uncle.
4. Under his leadership, the Dangote Group has become the largest industrial conglomerate in West Africa. The company employs upwards of 11,000 people and has companies in industries as diverse as sugar refining, flour mills, food distribution, salt processing and cement – just to name a few. Businesses under the Dangote Group umbrella of companies account for one-fourth of the Nigerian Stock Exchange.
5. On November 24, 2011, Mr. Dangote was awarded Nigeria's second highest honor, Grand Commander of the Order of Niger, by the President of Nigeria.
6. He is married and has three children.
7. Mr. Dangote joined Twitter in January, 2014. You can follow him there at @AlikoDangote. His first tweet …
“Glad to be on Twitter. Wishing you all a prosperous New Year. Stay positively committed to achieving your dreams, nothing is impossible”